“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 95 - Black-chinned Hummingbird

Yesterday and this morning there were reports of new hummingbirds in the area - Black-chinned and Calliope.  Instead of heading out on a brief jaunt looking for birds I decided to stay at home and keep a close watch on the hummingbird feeders.

While there was a good level of activity I did not see either of the target birds.  There were a couple White-throated Sparrows around - getting to be a bit late in the year for these.  I did take out the scope and get some photos of the birds that were around.

I got myself invited over to the house where a Black-chinned and a Calliope Hummingbird had been seen.  (Thanks Jenny!)  This is the same spot I saw this year's Costa's Hummingbird (Day 39).  The Calliope was a no show, but we did see a male Black-chinned Hummingbird.  Bird #201 for the year!  It was not camera-cooperative, but I include a previous photo of a Black-chinned Hummingbird for your viewing pleasure.


Black-chinned Hummingbird (Male) June 2014 Utah

Some photos from the yard today:

Golden-crowned Sparrow

Rufous Hummingbird (Male)

Rufous Hummingbird (Male)

White-throated Sparrow



After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 201!

Today I rode a total of 2.8 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment