“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 111 Part 2 - Wait, there's more!

After I arrived home from the Great Crane Chase, I got an email alert that reported a Blue Grosbeak being seen on More Mesa. (Ironically, just about the time as I was riding past this spot on the way home)  This would be a great bird to add to the year's list, as they are rather sporadic along the South Coast.  There is a reliable spot for Blue Grosbeak in Santa Barbara County but it is a 60 mile bike ride from my house.

So, all in all, it would be great to get this bird taken care of now and close to home.  I had received advice earlier in the year that More Mesa would be a good spot to find this bird, which was surprising to me.  After actually dealing with of some of the things I neglected earlier in the day, I set out for More Mesa (3rd outing for the day, I believe a Green Big Year first).  

I arrived and made my way across the open space towards the area where the bird was reported.  There was a good bit of bird activity, lots of House Finches, Swallows, and Kingbirds.  I kept my eye out for a blue bird with brown wings sitting on top of a bush.  

I spied a dark bird sitting in the midst of a dead Fennel plant, got the binocs on it, and Bingo - Blue Grosbeak!  It was not particularly cooperative with the camera but I did get shots to prove the the bird exists.

A nice and rewarding finish to an exciting day!

Blue Grosbeak

After the addition of this afternoon's 1 species, the year's total stands at 218.

This afternoon I rode another 15.8 miles for a total of 48.4 miles today.  I am tired.

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment