“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 115 - What's left to see?


Awhile back I put together a (somewhat arbitrary) list of target birds for the year.  They are organized by region (C = Coastal, M = Mountain, I = Interior, V=Cuyama Valley) and my guess at probability of finding them.  Likely = 9/10, Possible = 5/10, Unlikely = 1/10.

Below are the birds on the list that I have not yet found.  For many of them (the ones that regularly occur in a particular place or time) I have identified likely areas to look.  

There are a few I have no plan for.  For example, I am not sure the best place to look for Least Tern.

If you have a "go-to" place for any of these species, feel free to let me know the details.



Western Barn Owl Likely C
Canvasback Likely C
Northern Harrier Likely C
Chipping Sparrow Likely C
Short-billed Dowitcher Likely C
Common Tern Likely C
Western Wood Pewee Likely C
Olive-sided Flycatcher Likely C
Purple Martin Likely C
Yellow-breasted Chat Likely C
Swainson's Thrush Likely C
Wilson's Phalarope Likely C
Solitary Sandpiper Likely C
Pectoral Sandpiper Likely C
Red-necked Phalarope Likely C
White-faced Ibis Likely C
Palm Warbler Likely C
Western Cattle Egret Possible C
American White Pelican Possible C
Grace's Warbler Possible C
Sage Thrasher Possible C
Lawrence’s Goldfinch Possible C
Least Tern Possible C
Semipalmated Sandpiper Possible C
Indigo Bunting Possible C
Willow Flycatcher Possible C
Brewer's Sparrow Possible C
Baird's Sandpiper Possible C
Tennessee Warbler Possible C
Chestnut-sided Warbler Possible C
Blackpoll Warbler Possible C
Virginia's Warbler Possible C
Snow Goose Possible C
Reddish Egret Unilkely C
Common Moorhen Unlikely C
Pacific Wren Unlikely C
Short-eared Owl Unlikely C
American Black Swift Unlikely C
White-winged Dove Unlikely C
Rose-breasted Grosbeak Unlikely C
Yellow-billed Magpie Likely I
Horned Lark Likely I
Vesper Sparrow Likely I
Golden Eagle Possible I
Northern Pygmy Owl Possible I
Lewis's Woodpecker Possible I
Common Merganser Possible I
Bald Eagle Possible I
Hammond's Flycatcher Possible I
Common Goldeneye Possible I
Mountain Chickadee Likely M
Pygmy Nuthatch Likely M
Red-breasted Nuthatch Likely M
Townsend's Solitaire Possible M
White-headed Woodpecker Unlikely M
Golden-crowned Kinglet Unlikely M
Tricoloured Blackbird Likely V
Ferruginous Hawk Likely V
Prairie Falcon Likely V
Mountain Bluebird Likely V

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment