“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 93 - Yard Bird!

Today after returning from Death Valley I was hauling stuff back into the house and I noticed there was a great deal more hummingbird activity in the yard than when we left a few days back.

Naturally I stopped hauling things and picked up the binoculars.  Pretty quickly I saw at least two male Rufous Hummingbirds - all rufous on the back, no green whatsoever.  Bird 198 for the year!

This discovery eliminated a bit of a quandary I had about this species a few days ago.  As we were departing for Death Valley, I saw a potential male Rufous Hummingbird on the phone line.  It was nearly all rufous, with just a few green feathers on the top of its back.  It then left the wire and began performing a display that included a series of steep dives, but no horizontal shuttling at the bottom.  From what I read this flight pattern is done by the Rufous species, but the Allen's display has a single dive with a series of side-to-side "shuttles"  I was not sure about the accuracy of an ID based on the display flight pattern.  If anyone has opinions about this please let me know.  The discovery of today's male Rufous Hummingbirds makes this a moot point.

No photos from today, but a couple of older ones of Rufous Hummingbirds:

Rufous Hummingbird March 2014

Rufous Hummingbird March 2014

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 198. 


More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment