“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, April 3, 2015

Day 94 - Really Good Friday - 200 Species Reached!

In terms of Easter, today was Good Friday.  In terms of my Green Big Year, today was a Really Good Friday - with the addition of two species, I have reached 200 species!

Having been away for a few days, I read the continuing reports of arriving spring migrants.  When I left this morning I had high hopes for hitting the 200 mark.  I headed once again to Lake Los Carneros, hoping to see some migrants such as Black-headed Grosbeak, Black-chinned Hummingbird (both reported here within the last few days), Yellow Warbler, Warbling Vireo, and Western Tanager.

I headed directly to the North side of the lake where I typically find Grosbeaks and Warblers.  After a few minutes of arriving in this area I heard the call and song of the Black-headed Grosbeak.  It took me a couple minutes to see the birds, for it turned out to be a male and a female.  One down, one to go for 200!  I managed a couple rather crappy photos before they flew off, and include a better one from a couple of years back.


Black-headed Grosbeak (Male)

Black-headed Grosbeak (Female)

Black-headed Grosbeak (July 2013, Arizona)


Shortly after this I thought I heard the song of a Yellow Warbler coming from high in the Eucalyptus trees.  I searched without finding anything.  Suddenly the grove went quiet, and shortly thereafter a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew in and landed.  I was surprised by the number of songbirds that flew away from those trees!  Well, so much for finding any birds in that area for awhile, so I continued around the lake.  It was fun to see the Acorn Woodpeckers and a pair of White-breasted Nuthatches going in and out of their nesting cavities.

Over near Stowe House I was certain I heard at least 2 Yellow Warblers singing high in the trees.  I looked for a couple minutes and sure enough I saw a Yellow Warbler - species #200 for the year!  Unfortunately those warblers stayed high up in the trees and out of camera range.

I must admit I was very happy and excited to reach this milestone.  Although new birds are becoming more difficult to come by I look forward to continuing to find some new ones.  I think perhaps it's about time to head farther afield and take some overnight trips.


Some other photos from today:

Acorn Woodpecker


Hooded Oriole

Ruddy Duck

Eared Grebe (Breeding Plumage)


After the addition of today's 2 species, the year's total stands at 200!

Today I rode a total of 28.4 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment