“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 102 - Lazuli Bunting

This morning I headed out to Western Goleta to visit Farren Road.  My target species were Ash-throated Flycatcher and Lazuli Bunting.  Both of these species have recently begun to arrive on their migration from parts south.  Plus, there is a nice hill to get up which helps with the fitness regime.

There was a good level of bird activity all along the road.  The most notable birds were two Common Ravens and some Lark Sparrows, as well as a very large flock of Cedar Waxwings.

I was stopped along the road when several birds flew into a nearby bush.  I got them in the binoculars to see they were three gorgeous Male Lazuli Buntings - blue backs and head, light brown chest with white belly.  I stayed in the area for awhile hoping to get some photos but the Buntings stayed deep in the bushes and would not cooperate.  This is a shame because I do not have any photos of these birds to share with you.  They should be around for awhile so I hope to catch up with some Lazuli Buntings that are more photo-friendly.

Although one was reported in the area just before I arrived, I was unable to locate my other target bird, the Ash-throated Flycatcher.  These should be around for awhile so I am confident I will see one soon.

All in all another gorgeous spring day here in Santa Barbara!

A few photos from today:

California Towhee

Mourning Dove

Red-tailed Hawk

Western Bluebird

Western Kingbird

Turkey Vulture


After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 207

Today I rode a total of 36.5 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment