“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 112 - Wandering Tattler and more!

This morning I was sitting at home minding my own business (actually I was watching the Pine Siskins at the feeder and wondering why they are still here) when I got a call from Wim Van Dam - "there are 3 Wandering Tattlers at Campus Point."  He knew I had been chasing them and was probably getting tired of reading about how I was not finding any.

Well it did not take any more than that to get me out of the house.  47 minutes after hanging up the phone I was standing on the bluff above Campus Point looking at 3 Wandering Tattlers!  (Thanks Wim!!!)  They were sharing a large rock with 7 Surfbirds and at least 10 Black Turnstones.  As the tide was rising I was happy to get there before the water came up over the rocks and they disappeared.  The midday light was harsh but I managed a decent ID photo.

On the way home I was chugging along Modoc Road, happy not to be in a hurry for a change.  I was passing under some Eucalyptus trees when I heard what sounded suspiciously like Tanagers singing.  I pulled over and got out the binocs.  There were a number of birds high in the trees, including a pair of Western Tanagers.  Another new bird for the year!  There was also a beautiful and singing male Bullock's Oriole.  Unfortunately they were all far up in the trees with crummy lighting so no photos.

Although it is no doubt good for my fitness level, this bit about racing off to Goleta on the bike has my legs quite tired.  I am looking forward to a few days off.


Wandering Tattler


Eared Grebe - Breeding Plumage

After the addition of today's 2 species, the year's total stands at 220.

Today I rode a total of 20.0 miles

More later,
Glenn

2 comments:

  1. Great to read that you made it in time for these ephemeral tattlers. I think you should make a post about species that you are on the look out for; that way lurkers like me can get more involved. I'll let you known when I find a Cattle Egret or a chase-able Barn Owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea Wim, look for a post soon about what I am still looking for.
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete