“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day 260 - Tsunamis and Other Distractions

Just to keep things interesting this morning there was a Tsunami Warning in effect due to a large earthquake yesterday in Chile.  The impact was not predicted to be large here in Santa Barbara.  I decided not to go swimming in the ocean.

Instead I headed out to Lake Los Carneros, where there was a report last evening of a Cattle Egret.  This is a bird that I have had trouble catching up with in Santa Barbara County.  The first thing I noticed when I left the house was it was actually chilly - it has been quite some time since that has happened!  

I arrived at the lake around 7:30, there were no egrets, Cattle or otherwise, to be seen.  I was not terribly surprised.  In the past Cattle Egrets have tended to move through the area pretty quickly.

To add to the morning's entertainment I got a flat tire shortly after arriving at the lake.  I made my way around the lake and checked out the birds before stopping to fix it.  There were a good number of birds around but nothing unusual.

I decided to stop by a couple of egret-likely spots on the way home.  At both the UCSB Lagoon and Goleta Beach there were plenty of white egrets.  None of them were Cattle Egrets.

I stopped to watch a Belted Kingfisher at Atascadero Creek.  It was successful in catching two fish while I watched.  I enjoyed seeing it whack each fish on a branch before consuming them.  Seems like there is always something interesting happening when watching the birds.

A couple photos from today:


Double-crested Cormorant

Forster's Tern

After today the year's total still stands at 246. 

Today I rode a total of 26.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment