“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, September 4, 2015

Day 247 - A Goleta Morning

This morning, with nothing in particular to chase, I set out for Goleta Beach.  On the one hand it seems a bit boring to keep visiting the same spots.  On the other hand by statistics the places I keep revisiting have the best chance of containing new birds.  There is one other thing and that is every day is different - as I was reminded once again upon my arrival at the slough area of Goleta Beach Park.

There were tons of birds collected there, especially Egrets and Herons.  I counted about 20 each of Snowy Egrets and Great Egrets, as well as 12 Black-crowned Night Herons.  They were fun to watch.  There were not tons of shorebirds, but a good variety.  The most interesting birds for me were 2 American Avocets and a Pectoral Sandpiper - fall migrants passing through.

Some photos from Goleta Slough:

A very birdy Goleta Slough

American Avocet

American Avocets

Pectoral Sandpiper

Western Sandpiper

After Goleta Beach I headed over to Lake Los Carneros.  It too was quite active with a nice variety of birds.  I tallied 52 species in about an hour and a half.  The number of warblers and ducks are increasing, a sure sign that winter is coming.  No new birds today but a thoroughly enjoyable morning!

Some photos from Lake Los Carneros:

Lesser Scaup - Female

Long-billed Dowitcher

Ring-necked Duck

Western Scrub Jay

Wilson's Warbler

After today the year's total still stands at 242. 

Today I rode a total of 24.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment