“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, September 11, 2015

Day 254 - Hot Pursuit

I was not planning on going birding today.  I had things to do, I could use a day off, and it has been quite hot lately.  That changed around 1PM when a report came in from Peter Schneekloth that he was seeing a female Painted Bunting out in Goleta.  This would be a VERY nice bird to see, definitely less than once a year for this species in our area.

So, questioning my sanity yet again I set out in the 89ish degree afternoon to chase the bird.  When I arrived at the park I saw about half a dozen birders standing around, searching the area, and chatting.  This is not what you want to see in this situation.  What you want to see is all eyes, binoculars, and cameras focusing at a single spot - a bit of excited pointing is nice too.

Needless to say the bird was not present, and did not show itself in the hour or so I stuck around looking for it.  I did get to meet some new folks.  Perhaps the bird will stick around.  Although this is a small park it has a way of hiding birds!

No photos from today.  Here is a photo of a male Painted Bunting I took last January in Florida.  Like many species, the male is much more colorful than the female.

Painted Bunting, Male.  January 2015 Florida


After today the year's total still stands at 243. 

Today I rode a total of 25 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment