“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 81 - Carpinteria

Today I had a lunch engagement in Carpinteria so this morning I headed that way on my bike looking for birds.  I had low expectations for finding any new species for the year's list.  These expectations were not exceeded.

I visited the Carpinteria Salt Marsh, the Caprinteria Bluffs, and lots of bottlebrush trees in the area looking for my Rufous Hummingbird.  I was not successful in finding one.

My one bit of education for the day was hearing for the first time the "quack" of a Red-breasted Merganser.  Surprisingly it sounded more like a barking frog than a duck.

After a lovely lunch with friends I headed home into a chilly head wind.  This was not a pleasant finish to the outing, and had me questioning just a little bit the sanity of this adventure.

One thing for certain, tomorrow is another day.

A couple of photos from today:

Anna's Hummingbird

Pied-billed Grebe

After today the year's total still stands at 194. 

Today I rode a total of 34.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment