“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, March 6, 2015

Day 65 - A Bird Without Birding

I did not go birding today, but did see a new bird for the year!

As my son and I are signed up to ride in the Solvang Metric Century (67 miles, lots of hills) next weekend I thought today would be a good day to go for a training ride.  I intentionally left my binoculars at home - when I bring them along I tend to do more watching and less pedaling.

While I was on Foothill Road riding on the bridge that passes over Stevens Park I could not help but notice the 3 White-throated Swifts flying overhead.  Swifts can be distinguished from swallows by their shorter tail, and their shallower and more erratic wingbeat - their flight appears more clumsy and not as graceful as a swallow.  Even without binoculars I could clearly see their white undersides and flanks.  Their chattering calls were easily heard.  New bird for the year!

Sorry no photos today.

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 185. 

Today I rode a total of 51.1 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment