“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 68 - Spring Without Migrants (Yet)


After taking a break this weekend I had time for a quick outing this morning.  I decided to head to Rocky Nook park - perhaps I could track down some newly arrived spring migrants there.  Maybe a Western Tanager, Wilson's Warbler, Warbling Vireo or the like.

Well, that was not to be, but there was quite a bit of spring-like activity.  I heard birds singing like crazy, saw birds collecting nesting material, and even this cute Anna's Hummingbird sitting on her nest.  I do not know if it is for camouflage purposes or what, but every hummingbird nest I have seen has bits of green lichen (or similar) on the outside.  Maybe they are simply excellent decorators.


Anna's Hummingbird

I easily found and was distracted for some time by the park's resident rare bird, the Painted Redstart.  This little beauty has been hanging around for over two months.   I managed some better, though not fantastic, photos of this little color-bomb.  I imagine soon it will head back to Arizona or wherever it came from.

Painted Redstart

Painted Redstart

All in all a very pleasant outing.  Even the Nuthatches were cooperative.  With spring getting into swing, the migrants cannot be far behind!


White-breasted Nuthatch

After today, the year's total still stands at 185. 

Today I rode 7.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment