“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Day 64 - Lack of Grace

I had given up in the Grace's Warbler out at the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course.  But yesterday there were not one but 2 reports of the bird in it's usual spot.  This was too much for me to resist so today I headed back there for my 4th attempt to find this bird.

On the way I stopped by More Mesa in search of a Northern Harrier.  These hawks winter here, and there have been a couple recent reports from More Mesa.  This is a logical spot for them, a large open space with mostly grass and relatively few trees and shrubs.  The Harriers like open space such as this and they cruise low over the grass looking for prey.  This makes them relatively easy to spot - if they are present - which none were this morning at More Mesa.  It was a pleasant detour nonetheless.

I arrived at the Grace's Warbler spot a little after 10AM, and met Gage and George who were also eager to see the bird.  We searched for about an hour without success.  Not only am I cursed by this bird, those who are around me when I am searching for it become cursed as well!

Taking a little break form the warbler hunt I headed over to nearby Ellwood Mesa hoping I might come across a Northern Harrier there.  No luck on that either.

I returned to look once again for the Grace's Warbler.  I spent another half hour searching without success.

This bird is really starting to bug me.


A couple photos from today:

Canada Geese

Cassin's Kingbird


After today, the year's total still stands at 184. 

Today I rode 28.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment