“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 76 - A Couple of Migrants

After a breezy and warm 50 mile ride on Saturday in the Solvang Century I took a couple of days off from the bike.  This morning I got back on and rode up to Mission Canyon in hopes of collecting some spring migrants; specifically Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Wilson's Warbler, and Warbling Vireo.

I started out at Rocky Nook Park where a Pacific-slope Flycatcher was reported yesterday.  I made my way up the creek bed until I heard the distinctive "chu-wee" call of the this flycatcher.  It took a little while to get a visual on the vocalizer, which I eventually found in the trees over the creek.  Though overcast and a bit far away, I managed a decent ID photo.  Note how the eye-ring is thicker behind the eye, a good visual ID for this species.

I left Rocky Nook Park and headed for the Botanic Garden with 1 down and 2 to go!  At the Botanic Garden I met my wife and our friend Chris who is visiting from Minnesota.  We had a pleasant walk around the garden watching the birds doing their spring thing.  We heard another Pacific-slope Flycatcher up in a Sycamore Tree but could not get a visual on it.

While walking down the trail Chris pointed out a little yellow bird in a bush in front of us, which turned out to have a nice black cap - Wilson's Warbler!  Unfortunately this handsome little fellow did not stick around to get his photo taken.

We were unable to locate a Warbling Vireo, so I had to settle for 2 of 3 target birds for the morning.  Not a bad outing at all, and I am looking forward to catching up with some more spring migrants soon!

Some photos from today:

Pacific-slope Flycatcher

Underside of an Orange-crowned Warbler

Northern Flicker


After the addition of today's 2 species, the year's total stands at 190. 

Today I rode a total of 9.4 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment