“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 307 - Around Goleta

After a few days off it was good to get on the bike and head out looking for birds.  Yesterday a cold front passed through (sadly without much rain) and it was a cool, clear, and breezy morning.

It was one of those days with no set itinerary.  I really enjoy these days, just looking to see what's around and trying to get some decent photos.

I started at Goleta Beach.  The most interesting birds I saw there were a Mew Gull, about 8 Green-winged Teal, and a Dunlin that has been hanging around there for awhile.

I continued up along the coast, past the UCSB lagoon and on to Coal Oil Point.  I watched the ocean  for Scoters, as there have been a couple of reports of White-winged Scoter (which I have yet to find this year).  I did not find any Scoters today.  Perhaps a calm day would be a better bet for finding Scoters.

I made my way to the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course, thinking that perhaps the Grace's Warbler may have returned a week earlier than usual.  No luck today with my nemesis bird for the year, but I did catch up with the female Vermilion Flycatcher which is likely the same one that has spent the last several winters here.  It was not particularly cooperative for the camera but I did manage a couple of so-so shots.

No new birds for the year, but another pleasant morning with the birds!  Happily for me my right knee feels much better than it did when I returned from Figueroa Mountain.

A few photos from today:

 American Wigeon

Brown Pelican

California Gull

Mew Gull

Willet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Vermillion Flycatcher


After today the year's total still stands at 268

The Score: Vermont 264, Green Big Year 268

Today I rode a total of 27.8 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment