“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day 312 - Sunday Morning In Goleta

There are still birds up in the Northern part of the county that I would love to chase, but at the moment my schedule will not allow the time to get up there.  Once again I considered a 2-day blitz to Santa Maria but (probably wisely) decided against it.  I headed out to make the rounds in Goleta instead.

There are not presently any birds being reported in this area that I have not already seen this year, but anything could show up at any time - it pays to keep checking the same locations.  As I visited the various spots on my loop this morning I recalled the birds I have seen in here in the past that would be new for the year - Long-tailed Duck, White-winged Scoter, American White Pelican, and Grace's Warbler to name a few.

Also, by continuing to visit that same spots I get a front row seat to observe the flow of species over time.  For example at the UCSB lagoon I saw the first Scaup and Redhead ducks of the season - winter cannot be far away.

It was a clear and bright morning with good conditions for photography.  I have now posted photos of 212 of the 269 species for the year.  I hope to continue to add to this number.

I finished the morning's expedition at the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course.  My nemesis bird, the Grace's Warbler, has not put in an appearance here yet this season but could arrive any day - fingers crossed.  I was also hoping to get some better photos of the female Vermilion Flycatcher, which I did.

Vermilion Flycatcher - female.

Vermilion Flycatcher - female.

Back in Vermont a Northern Gannet was seen yesterday, bringing Vermont's total to 265 species for the year.  The race continues to be very close!

Some photos from today:

Redhead - male

Red-winged Blackbird - female

Greater Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

Osprey

Coopers Hawk


After today the year's total still stands at 269

The Score: Vermont 265, Green Big Year 269

Today I rode a total of 26.5 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment