“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Day 314 - Toro Canyon Park

Looking for something a little different today I headed up to Toro Canyon Park above Carpinteria.  I was hoping for some montane birds, perhaps a Golden-crowned Kinglet or Townsend's Solitaire.  These species have recently been seen in a couple of places at lower elevations in Santa Barbara County.  Heck, I would even settle for another look at a Varied Thrush or a Brown Creeper.

The climb up to the park was no less steep than I had remembered.  When I arrived the first thing I encountered was a Cooper's Hawk sitting on a bridge railing while about 8 California Quail huddled down below in the bushes fearing for their lives.  The hawk flew off and the quail lived to see another day, or at least a bit more of today.

There was a reasonable amount of bird activity in the park but none of the hoped-for montane species were to be found, not even a Brown Creeper.  I suppose it is still a bit early in the season though it really felt like winter up there with a cool Northerly breeze coming down off the mountains.

This breeze grew to a full-on unpleasant headwind for the ride home.  Somehow this seemed like a fitting end to a rather unproductive morning (bird-wise).

Just one photo today:

Hermit Thrush

After today the year's total still stands at 269

The Score: Vermont 265, Green Big Year 269

Today I rode a total of 32.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment