“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Day 309 - Pacific Wren!

After I returned from my ride yesterday I was trying to figure out a bit of strategy.  As of yesterday there were at least 6 birds I could get up in the north part of the county (assuming they stick around!).  These places are 50 to 80 miles away, so this would ideally involve a 3 day trip.  At the moment I don't have 3 days free, so I was contemplating doing a 2-day round trip.  This would be a stretch.  Also, my right knee is still not at 100%, and I was feeling pretty wiped out by the ride home into the wind.  I know - excuses, excuses.

Well, the whole planning exercise went out the window when I got a message from Peter Schneekloth saying that he had found a Pacific Wren in Goleta, and was that one I needed?  Oh yeah!  So this chilly morning I headed out to Goleta hoping to meet up with this small wren.  When I was a few miles away I got a text message from Tom Turner saying the bird was indeed at the noted spot.

When I arrived I saw Tom's bike, but not Tom.  I wandered around a bit, getting another text message a few minutes later from Tom saying that the bird was present at the spot I left my bike.  Of course by the time I returned it was not to be seen!  A short while later we could hear it calling, but still no visual.  Tom had to leave, so I waited around and sure enough after about 15 minutes it reappeared.  I lingered awhile longer to get some so-so photos of this active little bugger.  Pacific Wren joins the list at #269!


Pacific Wren

Pacific Wren

After the successful encounter with the wren, I wandered my way back through Goleta enjoying the sunny morning and visiting a couple spots along the way - the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course and Goleta Beach.  It was simply crazy how many Red-breasted Nuthatches there were at the golf course - this montane species that was completely absent from the coastal plain a couple months ago now seems to be everywhere! 

Another fine morning with the birds.

More photos from today:

Rock (feral) Pigeon - Nice to see them out in the "wild"

American Pipit

Great Blue Heron

Red-breasted Merganser - Female


After the addition of this 1 species, the year's total stands at 269

The Score: Vermont 264, Green Big Year 269

Today I rode a total of 29.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the RBNU invasion of 2015. Certainly is in effect down here in Ventura County as well.

    ReplyDelete