“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Day 333 - A Welcome Home Scoter

While away for the Thanksgiving holiday I was of course keeping watch on the local bird reports.  There were several sightings that would have been good additions to the year's list.

One was a White-winged Scoter in the Santa Barbara Harbor that was first reported by Jim Hodgson.  It seemed to be sticking around, so after arriving home and unloading I got myself on the bike and headed down to the harbor.  

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and quite a change from a brisk and snowy Utah we had just left behind.  I arrived at the harbor and saw a few scoters floating in the distance.  I got myself in a position for a closer look.  There were 3 scoters fairly close to the shore, 2 Surf Scoters and 1 Black Scoter - possibly the one I had seen in the harbor awhile back.  I had to scan farther out from shore to locate the White-winged Scoter, which thankfully had stuck around until after I arrived home.  It eventually came a little closer for a decent ID photo.  White-winged Scoter for #278!

Tomorrow I hope to catch up with one or two more of the birds reported last week.  Fingers crossed!

Some photos from this afternoon:

White-winged Scoter

Black Scoter

Black-bellied Plover

Sanderling


After the addition of this 1 species, the year's total stands at 278

The Score: Vermont 274, Green Big Year 278

Today I rode a total of 8.5 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment