“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, December 18, 2015

Day 352 - Counting Down

I did make it out and about today to look for some birds.  Last opportunity before Christmas Vacation, and only perhaps 3 days left in the year after that.  It is really beginning to feel like the end is near!

I made a circuit of Goleta, visiting Lake Los Carneros, Bella Vista Open Space, and the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course.  It was not too warm but calm and sunny, so overall a very nice day to be out and about.

At Lake Los Carneros the lake was full of Canada Geese, I counted over 120.  I did not cross paths with the Juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that has been hanging around here.

At Bella Vista Open Space I was hoping to find the recently reported Red Fox Sparrow.  I did get a very brief glimpse of a Fox Sparrow, bit not enough to say whether it was a Sooty or a Red.  Interestingly there were a good number of Purple Finches around.

At Ocean Meadows, well you know the story there with regards to the Grace's Warbler.  It has not been reported in some time.  Maybe it is still around, maybe not.

As expected, no new birds today.  As Christmas Bird Count is approaching, more and more folks will be out scouting.  Hopefully they will find an interesting bird or two I can catch up with before the end of the year!

Merry Christmas!

Some Photos From Today:

Glaucous-winged Gull

Purple Finch

Red-breasted Sapsucker

Savannah Sparrow

After today the year's total still stands at 285

The Score: Vermont 277, Green Big Year 285

Today I rode a total of 26.1 miles

More later,
Glenn

2 comments:

  1. I'll be sorry when this is over, Glenn. It's been fun following along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! If you are not busy next year, perhaps it could be your turn.

      Delete