“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Day 339 - Still No Grace

This morning I headed once again back to the old Ocean Meadows Golf Course, hoping to see the now nearly-mythical Grace's Warbler.  I have lost track of how many times I have visited here looking for this bird, but I would guess something like 12.

Just about the first bird I saw when I arrived near the warbler's allegedly favored spot was the Gray Flycatcher.  This rarity was found last week, this was my second encounter with this bird.  It was very cooperative for photos.  I looked around for that damn warbler for awhile without luck - no surprise there.

I noticed some local birders arriving, no doubt to see the Gray Flycatcher, so I went over and met them.  The flycatcher seemed to be following along for we turned around and there it was.  We also saw the wintering Vermillion Flycatcher.

But no Grace's Warbler.  I spent about 3 hours searching, and there were a number of others in the area looking during this time but the bird was not seen.  Consolation prize was a nice look at a roosting Barn Owl.  I have not given up on this bird yet, but ....

On my way home I got an email report of an American Golden Plover down by the beach in Santa Barbara.  This was highly unlikely, I did not recognize the person reporting this bird, and the description was lacking in adequate detail.  Nevertheless I decided to swing by there and check it out.  It was not far out of the way, and you never know!

I arrived at the described spot and found a Plover in the field.  As expected, the one I was looking at was undeniably the very common Black-bellied Plover, and not the very rare American Golden Plover.  I looked around on the beach and could not see any other plovers.

Some photos from today:

American Kestrel

Barn Owl

Gray Flycatcher

Ordinary Black-bellied Plover


In other news, Vermont has added a report of a Yellow-throated Warbler from back in September, bringing their total to 276.  Things are close and the end of the year is drawing near!

After today the year's total still stands at 280

The Score: Vermont 276, Green Big Year 280

Today I rode a total of 35.3 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment