“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Monday, December 14, 2015

Day 347 - Still Searching, The End Approaches

Yes, the end of the year is rapidly approaching.

At the moment there are only a couple of known birds out there that are within range for a one-day search.  It would be possible to ride up to the top of La Cumbre peak again and see a Townsend's Solitaire, and possibly a Golden-crowned Kinglet.  The other option is the Grace's Warbler out in Goleta.  I have visited many times looking for this warbler.  Since I did not feel like riding to the top of the mountain today I decided to try once again to see this vexing bird.

You can guess how that turned out for me.  I spent about an hour and a half searching, but no luck.  There's still time but I am thinking my odds of finding this bird by the end of the year are dropping quickly.

Speaking of the end of the year, as I will be away over Christmas there are less than 10 days of potential birding left for me.  I will keep going out and looking right to the end.  Perhaps an interesting bird or two will turn up between now and New Year's Eve.  I do hope to add some species to the total, but 285 may well be the final number.

Stay tuned.


One photo from today:

American Kestrel


After today the year's total still stands at 285

The Score: Vermont 277, Green Big Year 285

Today I rode a total of 27.4 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment