“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, October 23, 2015

Day 296 - Preparing for Figueroa Mountain

After yesterday's big climb I was happy to take a day off the bike.  I am getting ready for my trip to Figueroa Mountain.  This will be my first foray into this portion of the Santa Ynez Valley and nearby mountains for the year.  Depending on how it goes and what birds show up there later in the year I may make another trip there.  Time will tell.

From home it is approximately 65 miles to the Figueroa Campground.  The map below shows the final stretch from Los Olivos, and the climb up to 3600 feet.  It is another 1000 feet to Ranger Peak and the top of Figueroa Mountain.  I am planning on 1 day to ride there, 1 day of looking for birds, and 1 day to return.  Right now the weather is looking fine, all systems go!

Route from Los Olivos to Figueroa Campground

The target species for this trip include Yellow-billed Magpie, Horned Lark, Mountain Chickadee, Pygmy Nuthatch, and Northern Pygmy Owl.  I also have the chance for other species, such as Golden and Bald Eagles, Prairie Falcon, Lewis' Woodpecker, and Golden-crowned Kinglet, among others.

I am hoping that by the time I return I will be tied with Vermont, or better!

The Score: Vermont 264, Green Big Year 261

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment