“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Day 286 Part 2 - Crossing The Sewage Line

Shortly after putting up my post contemplating the endgame for the year I got a message from Wim Van Dam that there was a Bobolink at the Goleta Sewage Treatment Plant.  This is a bird I have not ever seen in Santa Barbara County, or anywhere else for that matter.

Now all over the world sewage treatment plants tend to be bird magnets and often draw lots of unusual birds.  This makes them popular places for birders to visit.  In spite of the draw of great birds I have not yet been able to bring myself to visit our local one.  That changed today.  I crossed the line so to speak.

When I arrived at the ponds inside the plant I found Wim still there and Tom Turner as well, but no Bobolink.  I stayed around for two hours hoping it would return, but no luck.  There were a number of other birds in the area to keep me entertained, but nothing too unusual.  I left the plant, got some lunch, checked out the Kingfishers at nearby Atascadero Creek, and headed home.

By the time I arrived home the Bobolink (and possibly another one) had been seen again.  Oh well, perhaps they will stick around until tomorrow.  Now that I know the sewage treatment plant is actually not a bad place to visit I imagine I'll be back.  Soon.

Some photos from today:


Goleta Sewage Treatment Plant

Western Sandpiper (Left) and Dunlin (Right)

Black-necked Stilt (juvenile)

Long-billed Dowitcher


After today the year's total still stands at 258.

Today I rode a total of 21.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment