“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, October 2, 2015

Day 275 - Great Horned Owl

This morning I was undecided about where to go look for birds.  By habit I headed out to Goleta, stopping first at the Coronado Seep.  Still hoping for those unusual migrant warblers.  There has been some brush clearing done here lately which has opened up the viewing area quite a bit.  The birds still come to the water but since there is less cover they seemed to be more skittish.

I stayed at the seep for about an hour.  There was a pretty good flow of birds coming through but nothing new or rare.  There was a visit from a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and later I heard two of them calling simultaneously.  Perhaps this will be a year when we will see many of these birds in the coastal lowlands.  

While watching at the seep Nick Lethaby stopped by on his morning scout of the surrounding area.  He pointed me to a Great Horned Owl resting in a tree - hiding out in the open.  This is a species I have heard this year but not yet seen.  The Owl was cooperative with the camera as nearby wrens, jays, and even hummingbirds made their displeasure with its presence known.

On my way home I had time for a brief stop at Goleta Beach.  The most notable birds here were an American Avocet, a Dunlin, and 3 Common Terns.  These terns seem to be actually becoming somewhat common!

Some photos from today:

Great Horned Owl

Great Horned Owl

Chestnut-backed Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch 

Townsend's Warbler

Western Tanager

Dunlin (Left) and Western Sandpiper (Right)

After today the year's total still stands at 254. 

Today I rode a total of 25.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment