“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 294 - Goleta Beach

Today was Wednesday so that means Bird Class once again.  Today we visited Goleta Beach.  There was a good level of bird activity.  I ended up with 43 species on the checklist and certainly missed a few along the way.

We saw some interesting birds, including 2 Peregrine Falcons, a Bonaparte's Gull, and a Kingbird of species that was difficult to determine.  It has the characteristics of a Tropical Kingbird but in subdued ways.  It does not look quite like other Tropical Kingbirds I have photographed in the past.  It is remarkable how variation in the appearance of individuals can make identification a challenge.  Photos were taken and circulated for opinions.  Final determination - Cassin's Kingbird!

After our class at Goleta Beach I headed out to the Coronado Seep to see if anything was happening out there.  I was also hoping to see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak again.  The water level at the seep had dropped quite a bit since my last visit.  It was pretty quiet bird-wise, and I did not see any sign of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Though no new species were seen today, it was another great morning with the birds.

In other news the folks in Vermont have added a couple to their list and are now at 264 species.  I need to make some progress and catch up!

Some photos from today:

Bonaparte's Gull

Clark's Grebe

Clark's Grebe

Cassin's Kingbird

California Towhee


After today the year's total still stands at 261

The Score: Vermont 264, Green Big Year 261

Today I rode a total of 26.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment