“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 276 - Two Birds From One Stone

Last evening Peter Schneekloth reported (among other things) a Palm Warbler in the creek at Refugio State Beach.  This is a bird I have yet to see this year.  As this looked like the best prospect for the day I left early and headed out there for the second time this week.  I arrived without incident about 745AM and took up a spot standing on a large rock near the creek bed.

There was a good level of activity with birds coming to the water.  Within just a few minutes I saw a rather dull brown warbler with a bright yellow area under its tail - the Palm Warbler!  It flew down onto a rock about 10 feet from me, pumping its tail as Palm Warblers do.  It took off before I could get my camera on it.  I did see it again later but it was no more cooperative for the camera the second time around.  Palm Warbler joins the list at #255!

Within moments of sighting the Palm Warbler I noticed a smallish light-breasted sparrow coming to the water.  It was not close and kept hopping around among the plants but I did get good looks at it.  It had a clean light breast, gray nape, patterned face and thin white stripe down the center of its crown.  I got some rather poor photos which I studied a bit to confirm this is a Clay-colored Sparrow.  An unexpected bonus bird and #256 for the year!  In fact this is the first Clay-colored Sparrow I have seen anywhere.

I was not the only one thinking it would be a good idea to visit Refugio State Beach today.  By the time I left around 9AM there were at least 4 other birders enjoying the steady stream of birds coming to the water.

Also today I surpassed the 3,000 mile mark for the Green Big Year.

Another fine morning with the birds!

Some photos from this morning:

Clay-colored Sparrow

Clay-colored Sparrow.  Note gray nape (back of neck)

Lincoln's Sparrow

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

After the addition of this 2 species, the year's total stands at 256

Today I rode a total of 48.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment