“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, May 1, 2015

Day 121 - Botanic Garden

This morning I headed up to the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden.  Besides being an uphill ride (uphill for fitness!), I had some rather slim hopes of finding a Swainson's Thrush.  It is a bit early for them but I thought it was worth a try.

Well, I did not see any Thrushes.  There was quite a bit of bird activity, and lots of young birds begging food from their parents.  These included Lesser Goldfinches, White-breasted Nuthatches, House Wrens, Orange-crowned Warblers, and Oak Titmice.

It seemed interesting to me that on one hand the Thrushes have not yet completed their migration and yet the local birds have already fledged.  Nature can work in mysterious ways.

Some photos from today:

Acorn Woodpecker

Black Phoebe - a youngster

California Thrasher - note growths on face and side

Distant view of a Lesser Goldfinch


After today the year's total still stands at 223. 

Today I rode a total of 8.4 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment