“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 139 - Lake Los Carneros

After being away for the weekend I was looking forward to getting out on the bike and looking for birds.  I headed to Lake Los Carneros.  There was nothing in particular I was chasing, in fact I figured it would turn into more of a bike ride than birding outing.  Once I got there I found plenty of things to keep me entertained, so it turned into more of a birding outing than a biking one.

There were lots of young birds around, and adult birds working hard to feed their youngsters.  I found a Bushtit nest, and saw a very young Blue-gray Gnatcatcher chasing the parents around and begging for food (see photo).

There were some birds around that are staying beyond the period where they are typically found.  There are two Horned Grebes in the lake that are pretty much in their full breeding plumage, something that I do not recall seeing in Santa Barbara before.  There was also a Mew Gull, and a Ring-necked Duck.  These were all species I have seen before this year but it is always nice to see something a little unusual.

So as expected no new species today but a pleasant outing on a very nice spring day!


Yellow Warbler

A very young Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Mew Gull

Ring-necked Duck

After today the year's total still stands at 228. 

Today I rode a total of 28.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment