“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Day 129 - A Year First!

Something happened for the first time today this year - I got a flat tire!  Now that I've got that out of the way, perhaps it will not happen again.

This morning I headed up to the Botanic Garden in search of a Swainson's Thrush.  There was one reported there a couple of days ago.  I arrived early and searched for about an hour and a half.  At one point I thought I heard one calling from up the creek a ways, but could not be certain.  Overall it was fairly quiet bird-wise.

On the way home I decided to try Rocky Nook Park, as it has a similar habitat that may be favorable for the Thrush.  Within a few minutes of arrival I heard the lovely song of none other than the Swainson's Thrush!  It took a little while to get a visual on the bird, and then it was quite cooperative for the camera.

This afternoon I met up with Peter Gaede, his son Lucas, and their friend for a bit of a Black Swift watch.  These interesting birds pass over our county only during migration.  I have only seen this species once before, in Colorado.  For me the most unusual thing about them is the fact that they like to build their nests on little ledges behind waterfalls.  We met at the "Black Swift Overlook" and watched for about an hour and a half with no luck on the swifts.  There were a few other birds around, including an Olive-sided Flycatcher, and a couple of Phainopeplas a bit farther down the hill.  A pleasant outing even without the swifts!



Swainson's Thrush

 American Crow - These have been coming to our birdbath lately

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 226.

Today I rode a total of 8.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment