“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day 146 - Around Goleta

After a long weekend away from the chase, it was good to get down to business again.  There were a couple of interesting recent (and reliable!) ebird reports from Goleta that I thought would be worth checking out.  I did not expect to add any birds to the year's list (and did not) but had a great time watching interesting birds and before I knew it the clock said it was time to head for home.

I started out at Farren Road, where Rebecca Coulter had reported not one but two Common Ground Doves.  I managed to hear one calling from an Avocado Orchard, but it would not come out and show itself.  There were other interesting things to see, like a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers attending to their nest; a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher harassing a Red-tailed Hawk (David and Goliath!); and no less than 7 Phainopeplas eating some red berries in bushes by the roadside.

I then headed over to the end of Coronado Drive where there is often a puddle of water that attracts birds (the "Coronado Seep").  There was some good activity there, including a cavity-creating Downy Woodpecker, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Purple Finches, and a stunning male Western Tanager that would not show itself for the camera.

Nearby I encountered the male Baltimore Oriole recently reported by Libbey Patten.  A beautiful male but camera shy.  Up on top of the mesa I saw one and heard another Grasshopper Sparrow.

Today turned out to be a pretty good day for adding species to the photographed list ...

Wrentit - distant shot, this bird is most often heard and not seen.

Phainopepla - male

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on nest.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher harassing a Red-tailed Hawk!

California Quail

Downy Woodpecker

A wet Chestnut-backed Chickadee

Oak Titmouse

Purple Finch

Grasshopper Sparrow

After today the year's total still stands at 228. 

Today I rode a total of 37.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment