“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Day 237 - MacGillivray's Warbler!

Foe the past week or so there has been a MacGillivray's Warbler reported in Isla Vista just West of the UCSB Campus.  It was originally found by Tom Turner - he's been finding all sorts of birds this year.  The bird has been seen in the late afternoon, around 5PM.  Today was the first day that my schedule fit the bird's schedule, so I headed out this afternoon to try and find it.  This is a species I have seen before but never in Santa Barbara County.  It was not on my list of expected birds for the year.

I arrived at the park around 4:30 and started waiting in the area that the bird has been seen.  I figured I would stay until 6 or so.  There was a bit of bird activity but overall it was quiet for the next hour, then things started picking up a bit.

It was around 6 and still no sign of the warbler.  I was contemplating leaving when a flock of Bushtits arrived at the park with a Wilson's Warbler in tow.  Sometimes warblers will mix in with a flock of Bushtits, so I followed them around for awhile.  When they flew between trees one of the birds I saw was clearly larger than a Bushtit.  I chased after them and scanned the trees until I saw the MacGillivray's Warbler working its way through a nearby Willow.  I could clearly see the gray head, broken white eye ring, yellow belly and vent - all important ID features for this bird.  Yes!  Another Bonus Bird for the year - one I had not expected to find.

Lesson for the day - perseverance pays off!

Sorry, no photos today.

After the addition of this 1 species, the year's total stands at 240.

Today I rode a total of 23.0 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment