“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Monday, August 17, 2015

Day 229 - Goleta

I took a couple days off the bike after my trip up to Lompoc.  That was a long ride and the weather has been quite warm.  Today I set off in a welcomed fog bank and headed for Goleta.

Last night Tom Turner reported a MacGillivray's Warbler in Isla Vista.  This is a species I have yet to catch up with this year.  I figured it would likely be gone but it was the only known thing I had to chase.  When I arrived at Fortuna Park, Tom was already there and getting ready to head off to work.  The Warbler, however, was not there.

My next stop was Lake Los Carneros.  Like at all local bodies of water, the lake level is dropping.  In this case it means some reasonable habitat for shorebirds - and it is shorebird migration time.  I was hoping something interesting would turn up, perhaps a Solitary Sandpiper or a Stilt Sandpiper.

When I arrived at the park the first thing I noticed was the blooming Locust tree near the caretakers house.  It had attracted Wilson's, Yellow, and Orange-crowned Warblers.  I was hoping for a more interesting migrant warbler, but it is still a bit early for that.  There was also a family of 4 Hooded Orioles nearby.  This was a nice start to my visit here.

As I made my way around the lake I did see a number of shorebirds - Western, Least, and Spotted Sandpipers, and a Greater Yellowlegs.  But nothing out of the ordinary.

I also saw a pair of White-tailed Kites but the youngster I saw here back in June was not to be found.  The drought makes it very difficult for Kites to find enough rodents to successfully raise a family.

No new species added today, but overall a very pleasant morning.  At this point in the year I am guessing there will be more days without new birds than those with new birds.

Some photos from Lake Los Carneros this morning:

Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.  
Compare with Juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron, day 223.

Double-crested Cormorant.  Light color indicates juvenile.

Female Lesser Scaup.  Unusual for this bird to stay over the summer.

Red-tailed Hawk

Male Ring-necked Duck.  Unusual for this bird to stay over the summer.

White-tailed Kite.

After today the year's total still stands at 237. 

Today I rode a total of 25.5 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment