“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, August 21, 2015

Day 233 - Baird's Sandpiper

I had not planned on looking for birds today.  This afternoon a report came in from Peter Gaede - Baird's and Semipalmated Sandpipers at the Mission Creek Outflow.  (Thanks Peter!)  I am highly unlikely to find a Baird's Sandpiper closer to home than this.

In less than 20 minutes I had dropped whatever I was doing and was at the Outflow looking at the shorebirds.  They were a bit skittish and it took awhile to locate the interesting ones.  The first one I found was the Semipalmated Sandpiper, very similar to the common Western Sandpipers, but with a shorter straight bill. (See photos)

Shortly thereafter I found the Baird's Sandpiper - larger and chunkier than a Western Sandpiper, streaked breast without white shoulders, straight bill.  It had what looked like damaged feathers on the right side but seemed to fly normally.  Bird #238 for the year!

There were many other birds around but I needed to head back home to start cooking dinner.  A quick and successful outing!

A few photos from today:

Baird's Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Western Sandpiper


After the addition of this 1 species, the year's total stands at 238.

Today I rode a total of 7.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment