“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Day 56 - Carpinteria Salt Marsh

Today was Bird Class day, and we visited the Carpinteria Salt Marsh.  I was not really expecting to see anything new for the year, and I did not.  It was really nice to just enjoy the beautiful day and nice variety of birds and not be chasing that ONE bird.

Although it was low tide (mid-tide would be best), we did see a good variety of species.  The most interesting one, for me anyway, was the Belding's subspecies of the Savannah Sparrow.  This subspecies favors salt marshes and only occurs from Baja Mexico north to Santa Barbara county.  We saw a number of these sparrows sitting on low bushes and singing their sweet soft song.

After class I could not resist hitting a few spots along the coast looking for Western Sandpipers.  I did not find any.  I am a little surprised that I have not caught up with this rather common species yet, but there is still plenty of time for that!

A few photos from today:

Black Phoebe 

Great Blue Heron

Greater Yellowlegs

Belding's Savannah Sparrow


After the today the year's total still stands at 178. 

Today I rode 36.5 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment