“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day 46 - Some Thoughts on Finding and Chasing

First, a couple of definitions.  If I go to a spot looking for birds, without prior knowledge of what has been seen there recently, and locate a bird (in this case usually an unusual or unlikely bird), than I have “found” that bird.  If someone else finds a bird and reports it, then I go looking for it, I have “chased” that bird.  Basically, see a bird with no prior information = find, see a bird with prior information = chase.

As you may imagine, many birders take great pleasure in finding interesting or unusual birds.  Let’s face it, it is simply more challenging and rewarding to find a bird than to have the “advantage” of prior information when chasing.

As you may have noticed,  this year I have been doing a great deal of chasing (and very little finding).  Chasing is simply the most efficient way to see as many different species.   This is especially true given the fact it takes me longer to get places and I can cover less distance in a day when I am on my bicycle.  I don’t feel badly about all this chasing, as it has been effective in adding species to the year’s list.  I do hope to do some finding later in the year, especially if or when the list of birds within range that can be chased has been exhausted.

In thinking about this finding and chasing business, I came up with a new concept for a big year – the “no chase” big year.  In this big year, the participant(s) would have to somehow ignore all bird sighting reports (e-bird, local lists, word of mouth, etc.) and find all of their own birds.  In this day and age I believe it would be very difficult to disconnect yourself from the seemingly omnipresent flow of information and accomplish this.  A crazy idea, but perhaps someone will (or even has!) take it up.

I will be back chasing birds in Santa Barbara soon, until then I leave you with these Rosy-finch photos from the last few days in Alta, Utah.

More later,
Glenn

Black Rosy-finch

 Gray-crowned Rosy-finch (Interior)

Gray-crowned Rosy-finch (Coastal)




No comments:

Post a Comment