“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day 39 - Costa's Hummingbird

Recently I have been seeing ebird reports of a Costa's Hummingbird appearing at a feeder not far from my house.  I had this species on the "possible" list - they are around (mostly during migration) but can be hard to track down.  Seeing one this early in the year and this close to home would be a bonus.  I managed to get connected with the feeder's owner, they were kind enough to have me over to see the bird.

Sure enough, less than 15 minutes after we had taken seats with a view of the feeder, the subject arrived, took a few sips, and departed.  If all birds could be so close to home and cooperative!

It did return after a short while and I managed a couple of photos that do not really do the bird justice.  As for field marks, it does show the white area along the side of the neck towards the back of the eye, and wings that project at least as far as the end of the tail.  Below I include one of my better shots of a Costa's Hummingbird from a couple of years ago.

 Costa's Hummingbird

Costa's Hummingbird Nov 2012 Palm Desert Ca

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 165. 

Today I rode 2.7 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment