“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 166 - Lake Los Carneros

This morning I took a spin around Goleta, spending the most time at Lake Los Carneros.  I must say it was really nice to be riding on the road without a load of gear!  It was a typical plumbeous June morning in Santa Barbara, which did not help with the photos.

There was a good level of bird activity at Lake Los Carneros, with lots of young birds of many types.  The first interesting thing I saw was a young White-tailed Kite.  I had heard that a couple had fledged here recently but could not find any on my last visit.  This one did not stick around for long and I did not see any adults.  Hopefully they will find enough rodents to keep it (and hopefully its sibling) growing.

White-tailed Kite (Immature)

The next fun thing I came across was a Red-shouldered Hawk.  It was about to eat breakfast.  I have been looking forward to getting a photo of this bird all year.

Red-shouldered Hawk with breakfast

The last interesting sighting of the day was the Horned Grebe that has been hanging around here for awhile.  It is really into full breeding plumage now, I believe that is rather unusual for these parts.

Horned Grebe - breeding plumage!

And lastly, a photo of a Great-tailed Grackle, because - well, just because.

Great-tailed Grackle

No new birds today but as usual a pleasant outing.

After today the year's total still stands at 231. 

Today I rode a total of 29.0 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment