“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, June 5, 2015

Day 156 - A New Bird!

It was been 3 weeks since the last new bird was added to the year's list.  Last night a report came in from ace bird finder Nick Lethaby - a Semipalmated Sandpiper was at Devereux Slough.  This would be a great bird to see, as it seems only a few pass through our area every year.  It was too late for me to get out there before darkness arrived, so I loaded my spotting scope and left early this morning hoping the bird would still be present.

I arrived at the lookout shortly before 7AM and peered across the slough with my binocs - sure enough there was a lone peep on the far shore.  I assembled the scope and tripod to get a better look - it can be difficult to tell the Semipalmated Sandpiper from a Western Sandpiper.  After getting the bird in the scope I could confirm the field marks that discern the Semipalmated Sandpiper - shortish, straight bill, gray coloring with little or no rufous, white flanks, dark legs, and partially webbed feet.  This was by far my best ever view of this species.  Unfortunately the bird was too far away for the camera, and I was not equipped to take photos through the scope.

A few minutes later Nick himself arrived to see if the bird was still present and added further confirmation to the ID.  Big thanks to Nick for reporting and confirming ID on the Semipalmated Sandpiper!

A couple of photos from today:

Black-crowned Night Heron

White-faced Ibis

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 229.

Today I rode a total of 24.4 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment