“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 30 - Canyon Wren Again

After yesterday's strikeout on the Canyon Wren I sent an email off to local birder and Santa Barbara Christmas Bird Count maestro Rebecca Coulter asking her if she knew any secret spots at Rocky Nook where they might be hiding.  She replied back that there was one singing at the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum "all day yesterday".  This is basically just down the street from Rocky Nook park, so perhaps that explains why I could not find one at the park!

This morning I pedaled up to the museum, where Rebecca met me and pointed out where the Canyon Wren had been yesterday.  She had even made recordings of its songs on her phone.

Well, for two hours I walked around the museum grounds and sat near the area where the Wren was all over the place yesterday - no luck.  There were quite a few birds around, the usual suspects and nothing out of the ordinary.  I practiced identifying the birds by sound and took a few photos to pass the time while waiting to hear the distinctive buzzy call of the Canyon Wren.

Hermit Thrush

Dark-eyed Junco

After two hours my patience had been consumed.  I decided since the Canyon Wren was not at the museum, perhaps it was up the street at Rocky Nook Park.  I headed over there for one last try before heading home.  I spent about 30 minutes looking and listening along the rocky creek bed at the bottom of the park - no luck.  I had given up on the Canyon Wren and was taking some photos of an Acorn Woodpecker when Rebecca came by with a small group of people - lunchtime birders.  She asked if I had any luck, to which I replied with a thumbs down.  The group continued into the park, which was upstream on the creek.  A moment later Rebecca was waving to me, indicating she was hearing a Canyon Wren!

Acorn Woodpecker - note acorns stored in holes.

I went in the upstream direction and heard the distinctive song of the Canyon Wren in the creek bottom.  In fact there were two!  I watched them scurry about among the rocks and managed a couple lousy photos.  This may be most satisfying bird for me so far this year, given the amount of time I invested in it.  Of course a huge thanks to Rebecca for actually finding it!

Canyon Wren!

After the addition of today's 1 species, the year's total stands at 161. 

Today I rode 7.2 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment