“People often ask me how it is that I seem to be so much at peace. There is a primary reason — and it is available to all who wish to have it. Here’s a simple prerequisite to attaining peace at that level. I invite you to observe the beasts, birds and fish and let them teach you. Let this be a daily routine and life, as you know it, will never be the same.”
– Eddie Bo

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day 29 - Searching for a Canyon Wren

This morning I had about an hour for a quick outing, so I headed up to Rocky Nook Park hoping to add Canyon Wren to the year's list.  There have been recent reports of this species at this location, and in fact I have seen them there in the past.

I must say the Canyon Wren is one of my all-time favorite bird species.  It has a beautiful song.  It lives in nice places - usually when I see or hear one it is in an area I really enjoy visiting.  Also, they are fun to watch as they scurry in and around rocks, cliffs, and crevices.

Shortly after we built our house in 1991, we had a Canyon Wren that would come inside through a little hole, wander around the place, and then leave.  We eventually filled up the hole, but there is still a little stain on the railing that the bird left behind.

Below is the only decent photo I have ever taken of a Canyon Wren.

Canyon Wren, Santa Barbara May 2012

This morning I looked up and down the rocky creek bed in the park, but was not successful in finding my target bird.  Overall bird activity was good so there were other things to look at.  My best bird of the morning was a male Varied Thrush.  In any other year this would be a really good find.  This year, since they are everywhere, it is just another Varied Thrush.

After today, the year's total still stands at 160. 

Today I rode 8.9 miles

More later,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment